My name is Dora, I am a mum of two boys and when they were babies, I found it very difficult to give them medicine, especially my second one! My first baby took reflux medication for a long time and I was always anxious about hurting his gums with a regular syringe. My second son totally refused to take his medicine. He pulled away, cried uncontrollably and spat the medication out. It used to be an incredibly distressing experience for him and me. I would worry about him becoming more unwell if I were not able to give him his medicine and was always concerned if he got the right dose. A medicine dummy helped as I wasn’t so worried about hurting his gums, but on numerous occasions accidentally shot medicine too fast down his throat and made him choke. I researched the market a lot but simply couldn’t find a safe enough solution. There were many times when I would walk around the room rocking my baby to calm him down, crying myself a lot of the times and thinking ‘There must be a better way!” This is when I started thinking about MEDAPTI.
How does MEDAPTI make it safer and more effective to dispense medicine?
- MEDAPTI helps to give the right dose - if baby refuses or moves around, it helps to keep the syringe in baby’s mouth preventing medicine being squirted outside. It directs medicine to the cheek which avoids taste buds and makes it harder for baby to spit out.
- MEDAPTI prevents choking - dispensing medicine to the side is the safest and recommended way because it prevents from choking.
- MEDAPTI protects from injury - it makes sure that the syringe does not go too far down the throat. Soft material protects baby’s mouth and gums.
- MEDAPTI is simple to use - you slip MEDAPTI on after the syringe has been filled with the accurate dose of medication.
- MEDAPTI only requires the use of one hand - it leaves you with a free hand to hold a baby.
My product development journey started four years ago and what an incredible journey it has been! With no previous experience in this area, I had to learn it all by myself…intellectual property, manufacturing, design and so many other things! I have to say, juggling between two kiddos, a day job and MEDAPTI hasn’t been easy but I loved every minute of it! Fortunately, I have the backing and encouragement from my family and friends. My boys, 5 and 7 years old are my biggest fans and very valuable advisers ☺ My dream is to take them to a supermarket one day and point at MEDAPTI on one of the shelves! They would be over the moon!
I am extremely proud of how far I have taken my idea so far. I know that MEDAPTI could be a helping hand to millions of people, not only parents and carers of babies but also disabled and elderly. I have had so much positive feedback from parents as well as health professionals and I know there is a big need for such product. MEDAPTI has gained interest from health professionals in hospitals like Great Ormond Street Hospital, Alder Hay and Sheffield which I am especially proud of. Articles about MEDAPTI have been featured in The Sun and the Mirror as well as on many mummy blogging sites. This whole journey has been amazing since day one…challenging but amazing! I loved every minute of it and I am ready to take it to the next level. This is why I need YOUR HELP. I launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and I am trying to raise funds so I can pay for the tooling and produce the first batch of MEDAPTI. Please support me. There are many different Rewards to choose from in return for your backing. I will be indefinitely grateful! Please help me make it happen!
Please go and visit Medapti on Kickstarter to watch the short video, find out more about Dora and support this amazing invention!